Sunday, April 6, 2008

Men CAN learn from the women's game



After spending far too much time on the sofa over the Easter period, I finally decided to go out and play a round of golf. After a not too shoddy round, I have now got the bug again. I'm counting down the days to the end of term, so I can go and play as much as I want.

I have also started to watch more golf on television. I was watching a women's tour event, and I couldn't help but notice one similarity between their game and mine: distance.

It is no use to me when I sit and watch a men's tournament and the commentator announces that so and so is 150 yards from the green, and he has a nine iron in his hand. I cannot relate to this.

However, I can relate to the distances hit by the women golfers. And there are many people that agree with me. Whilst browsing through a BBC Forum, I came across many people who shared my opinion.

A blog post from The Golf Girl, reveals further ways in which us men can learn from the women's game. She suggests that if men could lose male associated traits such as aggression and risk taking, and replace them with traits linked to women such as empathy and nurturing, then some men could cope better with the demands of golf. To be honest, I have to agree.

Image from JupiterImages

No comments: