Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Will technology ruin the game?


After watching last week's Accenture Match Play Championship, I couldn't help but notice the amount of players using the new Nike SQ Sumo square driver. I had heard a lot about this new club, and the fact that it can eradicate slices was the main reason for my interest.

I'm not sure whether such advancements in technology can benefit the game. Reviews on thegolfchannel.com have all been positive, with one person stating:

"I just bought the sumo-2 over the weekend and it took 6 strokes off my game. This club also helps a lot with a person that has a very bad slice. I am hitting more on the fairway than ever, and closer to greens. Great club!!!!"

Another added: "I am very pleased with the Sumo Sasquatch Driver. It is a very enjoyable club to hit and extremely forgiving. The face of the club is designed in such a way to allow you to review each ball strike. I was playing recently and struck the ball very poorly on the extreme end of the club face. The club twisted slightly in my hand from the impact, but still laid out a very nice drive just 10 feet off the fairway. Great Club!!"

This clearly shows how the club is helping players at club level. Imagine how it is aiding the pros!

The most exciting aspect of golf is the unexpected side to the game. With such little margins for error, anyone can shoot low rounds, or quadruple bogeys.

I just hope technology doesn't got too far. Soon we will have putters that tell us exactly where to hit, and how hard to hit a ball.

On another note, the Grouchy Golf Blog laments the amount of coverage the new club got at the event. It suggests that commentator Nick Faldo was acting as pitchman for Nike.

Nevertheless, the club has got rave reviews. I just hope it doesn't ruin the game.

Photo from lensbs

No comments: